Accountability continues to be a very valuable topic today for my clients. They tell me there is real confusion on the topic and quite honestly far too little accountability being executed in their companies. I am going to discuss a 5 step process to gain clear agreement on what needs to be held accountable.
1. What is the TASK ? Define the task, project, activity I am taking ownership of?
2. What is the OUTCOME/DELIVERABLE ?
• Level of Detail
• Measure of standards
• Customer/end user of information, product or service
3. What ACTIONS will I take to accomplish the task, project, outcome or deliverable?
• Others Involved
• Authority needed
• Assistance needed
• Resources needed
4. What are the BY WHENS? What are the deadlines ?
5. What are the STAKES associated with this task, project, activity ?
• Benefits of completing
• Consequences of not completing
• Who will be impacted
If you write the answers out to these 5 steps, in any form you desire, you will gain needed clarity for true accountability.
Questions on how to hold your people accountable? Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org